Saturday, January 29, 2022

YD2-REX

 

OK, so here is the YD2-REX Why RE-X because its target is twisty and high X roll. 

Not quite there yet but here is the story. 


I was looking for something decent to start RC again. 

Luckily a friend offered me this original YD-2 Plus. Yes a lot of Plastic, but that is perfectly fine. Weight can come from anywhere. 


I tried on some wheels and looked at it for about a week. I was thinking of a direction to take the chassis to a weight shift back heavy style but it would all depend on what old parts I had left over. 

And this was the first point. With out a high motor mount, i went for a high battery mount.  

I was able to reposition one of the original battery holders on the rear tower. and those two alloy posts were simply a good match. 

It started me searching for blue... You can see i found a few more old alloy turnbuckles 


And I "almost"... had enough blue screws from a years old plastic dp that I had saved. Need 8 more... haha

The other DP Type LSG piece I had was an LSG Graphite Upper Deck.  

It almost perfectly matched and I was able to cut it up to utilise the front steering mount section for a rear ESC mount. (Pic pre-install) 


The rear section was already pre-drilled and matched the YD2 rear gearbox holes. So I modified the front to become a ball mounted flexible dual deck. 


Still managed to look pretty good too. The lower deck is no longer connected to the gearbox and the plastic bridge is not installed.


This allows no flex on engine torque acceleration, but allows a lot of flex on chassis twist. 

I may also cut two slots in the main chassis to replicate the current trends. and then have a method of making it with adjustable rigidity. (future project )  


The chassis is wide enough to accept seats so I may add two seats and driver figures. I like my scale and an extra 400g comes in handy sometimes. 


For now, an old pre Accuvance.. "Keyence" branded luxon KG 9.5T and Tachyon "Non-turbo" esc will have to do for power. and old Sanwa Gyro and Servo are installed.  

Super lucky with clearance on the rear with the LRP shorty.


Pre ESC install shot. Rear mount is actually made from Front suspension extensions and 1/2  an old mount.

Everything is used parts.  



Im using the "2 year old" FD ( but it's only had 1 hour on track)


So for now, the YD2-REX is complete. Ready for the first track test out of the house... 

Soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a question or a comment. It doesn't hurt to ask.