Monday, April 8, 2013

Wheel Showroom


Time for some new rims. Here are some favorites and some new instant favorites.



3 new purchases.

Top Line N Model 26mm +12 in White.
Top Line N Model 2 28mm +6 in Matt Silver.
M's Products M-Type 27mm +10 in Chrome.


Top Line are by far my favourite rims. Their simple 5 spoke design suits everything. They are insanely strong and cope with abuse.

Recently having painted a few of my older white rims, I just needed to replenish my stock.


Simple and effective. +12 will spend most of their time on the S14. 


So why did Top Line make these N-Model 2? Well they are 28mm wide which has a few benefits.

1. When you mount the tyre, you get a 2mm exposed lip much like the exposed rim of a stretched tyre. If you use the new RC ART Stretch tyres you will have an awesome effect.

2. With max offset at +6, you can still achieve a wider look without effecting the scrub radius too much as the tyre is mounted on the inner side.

3. the wheel simply looks wider so you effectively have the +12 looking lip on a +6 rim.

4. They look less like the Rays Nismo rim and more like the Advan GT

Nice. These really suit the Blue FC Above.


In a similar way, these M-type wheels are 27mm, which exposes a 1mm lip. 


They have a nice Advan TC III look to them so I think they will change to a smoked chrome spoke eventually...


 But for now... I think they have found their home.

7 comments:

  1. Ah sweet, finally someone who has the M types :) Can you tell me if where the tire sits offset wise? Is the tire at 10mm offset and the wheel sticking 1mm outside that (giving a 11/12mm offset look), of does the outside of the wheel sit the same as any other 10mm offset wheel and the tire like on a 9mm offset wheel.

    I switched to 9mm offset wheels recently so I need to refill my wheel stock, and the M-types have been on my wishlist for a long time but I'm afraid they are too wide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure yet.

    I had to restock all mine too. I just get bored though... haha.

    I believe the inner position should still be the same as a normal +10.
    I have some Kazama FXR I can measure against.

    I am recently using 3mm hubs so the 10mm is wherever it fits??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I need to know is if I could run the +10 M-type wheels on my car, if a normal +9mm wheel is the max. offset I can fit. If the rim sticks out more its ok, but if the tire sits 1mm further outward it rubs on the body and lightbuckets.

      Delete
    2. No. the rim is +10. If I run Kazama +10 the tyre is the same position.
      the wheel extends an extra mm.

      If i run a Top line +9 with a 1mm spacer the tyre is in the same position.

      So you can run a 1mm smaller hub and the +10. That's the same.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the info! The M-type won't work for me then. Needs to be a quick change, so switching out the hub is not an option even though its only 1 screw. I'll stick to my Topline Mars and Jupiters, and my newly acquired Enroute WedsSport's.

      Delete
    4. too bad. they are nice.

      Have you seen the new RC-Art tyres with stretched edges?

      I did a tutorial for others with many pics. you just need the pics.
      http://rextremerc.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/basic-wheel-offset-solutions.html

      Delete
  3. yeah, seen them. They are nice.. I've been driving on some RC-art tires in France last week and they handled great! Just as consistent as T-drifts, only slower. But as our competition is 'sponsored' by Yokomo we're stuck with the crappy R2 tires unfortunatly.

    ReplyDelete

Got a question or a comment. It doesn't hurt to ask.