Wednesday, May 30, 2012

MAX Drift


Today was like this... A LOT! a bit of a story in this post.


 These guys are two of the guys I love running with. Both with a little different style, but equally helping your skill set.


Whether you are leading and working on line to allow the follower space and adjust speed to bring them closer, OR behind, trying to transition withing mm of each other and get as close as possible but not hit each other. It takes concentration, driving skills and setup.


Adjusting to a high speed Kawabatta style entry from a slightly high speed entry, or trying to catch the pack in a high speed line from your own mistake, it's all skill building. recently I'm loving this.

I stay all day from 10 til 10 if I can. 


Unfortunately though, when I'm driving too, I can't take pics, of course, so there are no pics of the awesome fun the four of us had today including Max One owner, Yamada-san. Quad door-to-door drift sessions are awesome.


At one point after about 30 minutes of continuous and countless laps of insane sandwich action, we all just stopped and had to stretch and put our controllers down for a minute. Concentration was insane. It was incredible. Yamada-san's ball diff 1.5x TA-06 is a completely different style and gets sandwiched between two 1.8x and over machines with maxed out camber, it takes some adjustment. Then with the Keyence Aria boost noise and monster power to deal with also it's tough, but rewarding.



I've been going to Max One in Tokyo now for about 6 months. Starting with my Drift Package converted to RE-R and then the DRB, TA-06 and now settling on two Yokomo DRBs.  Every two weeks but recently its turned into every week or maybe twice a week.

Unfortunately or fortunately due to work commitments, I have to go on a Wednesday, so there's no competition, but I'd trade a one lap contest for the 8 hours of fun I had today for anything. The guys here are a very, very high level so I feel that I don't even need a competition to be satisfied.

My benchmark is still a little way off, but I'm getting there.

The scars on my FC tell a story. I've crashed this body soooooo many times its unbelievable, but it's the one that works best.


I really tried to run the ZX today, but two laps was enough. Unless I'm drifting with another ZX It won't be used. I may even sell it. It's too big and needs too much of an adjustment to line and other drivers.


So I also installed the dash in the FC and went for it. Matching your friends in similar set up machines is the key here.  You can really get it on with similar machines and it looks cool when bodies are similar sizes.


I'm so glad I have been trying new setups recently after doing a bunch of research. It's really changed the way I look at RC drift. Today, here's a list on changes I made.

TAO Setting,

Reduction in Neutral brake, just aggressive enough to lock the rears in a straight line. 14% was the final adjustment.

MT4 Setting,
Throttle End Point Adjust.  depending on challenger. This is vital to match speeds and transitions. now I switch between 75% and 79% on a 7.5T. I may buy a 10.5 T in the near future.
Steering curve. 20% faster at position 20 for a faster initial correction.

DRB HT Chassis.
Rear Toe now at ZERO. transposed from the test chassis but I'll move the 0.5 hubs over also.
Oil 300. rear springs: RC926 ultrasoft/ultrasoft. front: RC926 ultrasoft/soft

Basic lubrication maintenance.

This stuff took a little time but after I could enjoy about 6 hours of constant drift.

Ultimately MAX DRIFT!

.
.
.
.
ps.


 There's a lot of images of the Prodrive GC-05K wheels in these shots, but I didn't actually use them so much today.


If only they were +12... +9+5mmspacer is not enough. HAHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a question or a comment. It doesn't hurt to ask.